The Injury and Violence Prevention program is a component of the Center for Professional Development, Public Health Systems and Partnership (CPDPHSP), an integrated department within the Health Policy and Practice Division of APHA. This Center is committed to promoting the well-being and education of local, state, national and global residents of the world. More specifically, this internship will focus on applying public health practices to injury and violence prevention. During the course of the internship, the student will become more familiar with the key issues regarding the burden of injury and violence on the public’s health. The intern will work directly with the Public Health Practice Manager within the CPDPHSP. APHA internships are unpaid and located in Washington, DC.
In general, the intern’s duties are as follows:
- Update the website with pertinent injury and violence prevention information;
- Assist with the development of educational materials;
- Conduct research and synthesize findings;
- Monitor ongoing and emerging issues relevant to injury and violence prevention;
- Draft injury and violence prevention fact sheets;
- Assist with the development of PowerPoint presentations;
- Attend select meetings and seminars in the Washington, D.C. area;
- Interface with APHA members and partners within the injury and violence prevention field;
- Contribute to other projects as needed.
Participate in The Get Ready Campaign public events.
Undergraduate or graduate public health students or allied fields. At least 1 year of work experience with an interest in injury and violence prevention practice and policy. Excellent oral, written and analytical skills. Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite. Ability to take initiative and work independently and within a team environment.
Applicants who meet the requirements and are interested in being considered for this internship should upload the following information:
- Cover letter;
- A writing sample;
- Unofficial transcript;
- Three references (Employer or Professor - name, title, company name and phone number/email).
(If you are uploading a pdf document, the document needs to be a file that was created and can be manipulated and converted in order to upload.)
Deadline date: Open Until Filled
EEO/AA/VETS/DISABILITY. APHA is strongly and actively committed to diversity in its workplace.
Sorry the Share function is not working properly at this moment. Please refresh the page and try again later.
Share on your newsfeed